Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Turning Down Jobs

Turning down a job is a difficult thing to do, especially when you aren’t sure another is going to come along anytime soon.

Last week I heard back from the firm that I’ve been applying with. They told me that they really enjoyed meeting with me and think that I would make a good addition to their team, but they aren’t sure they have a good spot to put me yet. I was a little discouraged, but was told to be optimistic: they frequently sign new clients and they scramble to find new employees. They told me I had two options: wait until they do have an opening and do the whole process over again, or take a writing test now that they can keep on file (this makes the hiring process, once they have a position open, much easier). I opted to take the test.

In the mean time, I was feeling like I just need a JOB. I didn’t really care doing what; I just needed to be doing something with my days, and pulling in some kind of income. So I went to Craigslist. Great resource. I sent resumes to a number of the postings and was called back to interview for a PR position at a oral surgeons office.

-- In case it’s been a while since I’ve spoken to you, I spent the last year and a half working for my uncle’s dental office as a marketing director. --

I figured that I might as well keep my options open, so I went to the interview. The surgeon and office manager were very nice, and seemed very interested in me as an employee. I left the interview hopeful.

I took my written test for the PR Agency on Thursday and immediately afterwards received a call from the oral surgeon, offering me the position. I asked if I could have a few days to consider my options, which they were fine with.

Here was the dilemma. Do I take a job that has a really limited scope, but that is in my comfort zone and is a sure thing – or do I hold out for the chance to work at my dream job, even though that opportunity may never actually make itself known?

In the end, Shiloh convinced me to discard my risk-averse tendencies. I turned down the offer yesterday. It was a difficult thing to do, mostly because the Dr. and Office Manager were so nice, and it would have been a pleasure to work with them. Here’s to hoping something works out.

I’ll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Shana said...

Ugh, I had a similar situation, except I took the job that I didn't want, and now I hate it. I hope you find a job that you love. Life's too short to work for just money.

Melissa and Nate said...

Ahh, how frustrating. What a tough decision. But that's awesome you are going for your dream job! Good luck and keep us posted!

radmacher said...

hi rachie, great blog (whatever that means, i'm not sure). my only criticism is that there aren't any pix of you guys. good luch with the job. love ya, bye!

radmacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.