Sunday, July 11, 2010

Independence



Happy (belated) Independence Day

We spent this 4th of July at my parents house in Connecticut. They will be moving in August, so this was likely the last time we would get to enjoy the 4th at Waveny Park. We had an excellent time.


My mom made delicious home made raspberry ice cream (one of our family traditions), which quickly was passed out to friends sitting nearby. We caught up with old friends and made a few new ones. It is so neat to see how my parents have really become part of the community in New Canaan. While I only lived there for three years, it is the place that feels most like home. We will miss coming back so often, although my parents are convinced we'll make fairly frequent visits...



As usual, the fireworks were spectacular. Earlier in the evening my dad had worked his magic and gotten Harper to go to sleep, even with all of the music and children screaming around us. We had put her in her car seat and covered her with blanket to help muffle some of the noise.

Sure enough, though, when the first of the fireworks went off the blanket was no match. For the first ten minutes, or so, she sat happily in Shiloh's lap, occasionally gripping his arm or looking a little worried.



We're not sure what set her off... an especially loud firework, or becoming overwhelmed with so many of them... but eventually she started to cry.



She spent the rest of the show cuddled close to me, occasionally burying her head in my shoulder. I can't say I minded.

Happy Fourth of July!

4 comments:

Paige said...

Oh precious baby girl! I love snuggling with my babes. :) And don't go saying you'll never go to fireworks at Waveny again. Even if it's true, it makes me sad. So don't say it. Thank you. :)

Jesse said...

What a pleasant weekend! Glad you guys had such a good time. I am grateful for a country that makes these kinds or opportunities possible.

Julie said...

love her and want to the raspberry ice cream recipe, sounds heavenly!

Aunt Spicy said...

She is just the sweetest! Love how well coordinated you all are!