Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Columbus Day Weekend


After all of your nice comments complaining that I haven't posted in a while, I decided that I better have something really significant to blog about. With that in mind, Shiloh and I ventured down south to Charlottesville,VA to go backpacking. Our great friends P & G (& G) joined us for the adventure.

Shiloh decided to make it easy for me, so we did a 14.5 mile hike over 2 days. At the end of the first day, my rear end was sore, by ankles were beat and my collar bone was feeling bruised. I didn't know how I was going to make it home.







At the lowest point of the second day, we were at 800 ft. At the highest, 3900 ft. I'm not going to lie - it wasn't fun. Being outside in the gorgeous weather was so nice and the scenery was amazing, but I couldn't have been more thrilled when it was over. Fortunately, I don't think I was the only one ready to go home.


Gabe was such a trooper, he hung out in his backpack for the entire hike without any complaints. I got hundereds of adorable pictures of him along the way. What a cool kid.









Overnight, Shiloh and I slept in the open air with Adi. This was the most entertaining part of the trip. She stayed up all night chasing away raccoons and several other animals that were interested in our garbage. She would be laying quietly one minute and then would take off, growling and snapping at various animals, one of which sounded much larger than I was comfortable with. I was amazed with her performance. Needless to say, she was a bit tired the next morning. After the trip, she spent over 24 hours at home on her pillow.

We were all relieved that we had Monday to catch up on sleep and stay off our feet.
**Stay tuned for recaps of our summer fun**

11 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

yay you posted!!!

Emily said...

Yikes! You were a better sport that I would have been!
So you were an hour from us this weekend and I was probably less than that from you on Thursday (D.C.). We'd love to see you! (But no hiking...).

Paige said...

Whatever, we had SO much fun and you really were an awesome sport. Thanks for sticking in there! And SWEET photos!!! I can't wait to see them all. All hundreds of Gabe. And I'm totally not suprised Adi slept for 24 hours. Holy cow, she's such an awesome guard/hiking dog!

Jesse said...

I love shiloh's super sweat streaks from pit to shoulder...easily the best part of backpacking.

Shana said...

Fun! Sorta. I love that Adi slept for 24 hours. Peyton does the exact same thing -- endless energy until he reaches his bed, and then he is OUT.

Julie said...

about freakin time!

Ryan & Keri said...

Rachel, what a fun trip! I love to hike! Sorry that you didn't find it so wonderful. :( Your dog is beautiful--that's so funny about her chasing away all of the critters. It's a good thing you had her. How is Shiloh doing?

Jill said...

I'm so glad to see you really are still alive! We miss you guys a ton! Can't wait to see you!

Tara Thue said...

Woo-Hoo! A new post! The backpacking sounds fun, but I must say I'm much more of a fair-weathered car camper myself.

L-O-V-E the picture of Adi.

Melissa said...

You posted! Okay I have no room to talk, but next week is I'll be all over it for sure! You guys ARE aggies...you love the outdoors just like us. Jon would be so jealous--we're sleeping outside in our backyard tonight. :) I'm excited for tomorrow...thanks again for doing everything for the party!

Erica said...

Hooraayy for a new post. I am beaming with pride across the river!