Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Washington International Horse Show



On Friday night, Shiloh and I got tickets to see the Washington International Horse Show. I had passed by the horses on F street a couple of times during the week, and could not wait to see them perform. I spent a good deal of time around horses during college, so the atmosphere definitely stirred up old memories. Great idea Shi!



In the 1st picture above, you can see one of the competitors for the Puissance competition. It is similar to the track event, high jump. The green portion of the wall can be elevated, so the horses take turns seeing how high they can jump. Michael Morrissey and the horse, Scaraberas, jumped 7'1/2" to win ... they tried for a new record, but didn't quite make it.

Here is a run-down of the other events we saw
  • Open Jumper Costume Pair Relay
  • Saddlebred Exhibition
  • Terrier Races
  • "Big & Little" - Caroline Williams' Friesian and Mini
  • Dressage Exhibition - Ashley Holzer, Canadian Olympic Team
  • Four-in-Hand Driving


I wish I had photos of the terrier races. Those little dogs were hilarious!
And check out the sweet mani/pedi!

13 comments:

Shana said...

Fun! I also wish that you had pictures of the terrier races...love the picture of the two of you AND the picture of the mani/pedi.

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Seriously, I love the sparkling hoofs! (or whatever you call that)

M said...

That look so awesome. I'm jealous. And I, too, love the sparkling hooves.

The Smiths said...

yay!! We're both back in the blog world! What an awesome idea to go to a horse show...I had no idea they even had those here. How did you find out about it? Nice work on the date idea, Shiloh! And I clearly wouldn't fit in with the other comments if I didn't mention the rockin' shimmer hooves. Love them. Work it, pony!! Hope we get to see you two again sometime soon...

Ryan & Keri said...

It sounds like a lot of fun. Does Shiloh ride horses too? I remember you doing it in college.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I had no clue that horses could have mani/pedi's. How awesome! Luke and I cannot wait to see you guys on our East Coast Trip. We love you. xxooxxoo

Unknown said...

Wow! I had no clue that horses could have manmi/pedi treatments. You learn something new every day. We love you guys and can't wait to hook up with you on our East Coast Dental School Interview Tour 2008. Hope all is well. xoxo Julia and Luke :)

Unknown said...

Those hooves are are out of control!!!

Unknown said...

Rach and Shi---Luke and I so missed seeing you the other weekend in Pennsylvania. We were both sick that week and were kind of last minute in all out planning, packing, etc. We are sorry our paths didn't cross. We will be in Boston this Tues-Sun (I know that might be a bit far) if you are free?? Love you guys!

Lis Wing said...

Hey Rachel! I love the pictures, thanks for sharing. I want to email you an invite to my blog. My email address should show up somewhere with my post. It was great talking to you recently!

Lain said...

Hey Rachel! Looks like you guys are having fun! It's nice to keep in touch this way. I am actually going private with my blog, so send me your email and I'll send you and invite! Tell Shiloh hi for us!

Lain said...

Hey Rachel! Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun. It's nice to keep in touch this way. I am actually going private with my blog, so send me your email and I'll send you an invite! Tell Shiloh hi for us!

Laura & Tyson said...

Love those horse feet. I think you guys should do a blog update. I seriously still have another month of posts to make up heh.