Saturday, January 30, 2010

two months



Two months ago we became parents... which, for us, means at least 2 things:
1) we are coming out of the no-sleep fog
2) shots.

I've been worried for about a week about #2. Not sure how Harper (or should I say "I") would handle it. So I made Shiloh come with us to the appointment yesterday.


Our sweet girl was oblivious to what was ahead - giving us smiles and mini laughs while we waited for the doctor. This just made me feel worse.


When the doctor came in for the check up, Harper was a champ. She showed her all her tricks:
Holding her head up during tummy time;
standing nice at tall while stretching her neck up tall too;
watching the doctor's light as she moved it around;
and probably a few more that I don't remember.


The doctor was thrilled, again, with Harper's growth:
Height: 23" (75%)
Weight: 10 pounds 5 ounces (25-50%)
Head Circumference 14 3/4 (25%)

Then she sent the nurse in. She explained there would be one oral vaccine and two shots (I was expecting 4 shots, so that was good news). Shiloh held her arms down to keep her still and I tried to focus her attention on something other than the shots (I don't think that did much). Her little face turned more red than we had seen before and she gave a good squeal (although not as loud and mad as the squeal she gives when we're using the nose sucker on her). She shed a few big tears but then settled down. Shiloh has decided that she is (and will continue to be) a tough girl.

With the exception of seeming to feel a little unsettled, the shots don't seem to have phased her - and they didn't traumatize me as much as I expected either (hope this doesn't mean I don't have a heart). The doctor told us that the shots that tend to be harder on them come at month four... now there's something to look forward to.

4 comments:

Karissa Kay said...

She is getting so big! She looks so tall. She's just beautiful! I'm glad the shots went well. Lily never had any problems with any of her shots, so maybe Harper will be fine too!

JJ said...

How cute is her little smile! And way to go on the shots!

Paige said...

So I pretty much can't stand how cute she is. Holy cow. I absolutely love that she is such a good combination of you two. But that smile is totally Rachel. And I LOVE the long straight nakey body. :)

I hate seeing my kids get their shots too. And it really never gets easier. Sorry. :(

JaNae said...

I remember taking Hayden in for those 2 month shots and it was defintaly harder for me than it was him!